God blessed me with some incredibly creative children. While their "creativity" is not often valued by modern cleanliness, artistic, or design standards, I have evidence to support thirteen reasons why they are, in fact, prodigious home decorators. So, here goes...
1. They can repurpose existing items to serve new functions. For example, instead of using a clear tub to hold neatly-folded clothes, only children can see that this clear tub is better used as a boat. I can't believe I didn't think of this idea first!
2. They recognize when details are missing, and willingly add their own personal touch. Like on a keyboard. With a sharpie.
3. They understand that a beautiful exterior is as important as a beautiful interior. Therefore, they take extra measures to tastefully apply graffiti to outdoor surfaces.
4. They have a clear vision and are not satisfied until it is achieved. In this case the vision looked like "NOT Carrots", and thanks to his persistent pushback, the message was received very loudly and very clearly.
5. Their creative abilities thrive even in a minimalist environment. This picture was taken during the walkthrough of our new house on base. The leasing agent was obviously impressed by my children's ability to begin decorating with nothing inside, except a roll of toilet paper. As you can imagine, it was undeniably clear from this walkthrough that we were going to make exceptional tenants.
6. They live, breath, and eat all things decorative. This fervent appetite for creative design allows their best work to shine through in both their artistic creations and their diapers.
7. They subscribe to the motto, "There is no such thing as too much color." This infallible way of thinking allows children to envision new and creative ways to add color to every room, counter, wall and floor in a home. No surface is off limits!.
8. They have expensive taste. When considering a new floor covering in our dining room, my son could have opted for a cheap flour option, but instead chose a high-end alternative - baby formula. Only the best for our floors!
9. They have a new-age approach to clutter - the more clutter, the better. Organization is a thing of the past. True beauty can only be appreciated once you have pulled ALL toys out of ALL spaces.
10. They have an in-depth understanding of form and function. For example, a roll of paper towels makes both a beautiful runner on the stairs and also collects dirt from the feet of those walking up and down them. It's a genius design, really.
11. They give you the red carpet treatment. And don't worry, this red carpet treatment isn't just for a fancy night in Hollywood, it is permanent (thanks to my children's undying partnership with Sharpie markers). Thanks to this celebrity treatment we can enjoy it for many years to come.
12. They think outside the box. Only a toddler can see a perfectly good white board and realize that there is no need to confine stunning artwork in that one space. And so, they create beautiful masterpieces that have no bounds, no limits, and no lack of intense color. (See #7).
13. And finally, after a hard day of interior decorating, they clean up after themselves. The last thing you want after perfectly accessorizing your home, is a mess on the floor. But luckily children are exceptional cleaners, so much so, that one could even EAT off the floor. Exhibit A.
What did I miss? Do you have some child-designed elements in your home? We can learn so much from those creative little beings, so please share your child's design ideas with the world!
If you want to see more parenting shenanigans or get some daily words of encouragement, head on over and "like" my Facebook Page, follow me on Instagram and/or sign up for my Monthly Mutterings. All are welcome here!
Wishing you child-like creativity,
I am a lover of people, a child of God, and a laugher at jokes. I write words, cry tears and smile at strangers.